A REGENCY MAHOGANY WRITING TABLE ATTRIBUTED TO GILLOWS
A Regency mahogany writing table, early 19th century, attributed to Gillows, the rectangular back with raised border on three sides above a cock beaded frieze drawer with divisions and a lock stamped Bramah, 124 Piccadilly and raised on ring turned and reeded tapering legs, brass cups and castors
Condition good, commensurate with age and anticipated wear
Stock number 3356
Size 66 cm wide, 52 cm deep, 81 cm high
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded around in Lancaster in about 1730 by Robert Gillow (1704–1772)
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas.[a] In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.