A Rosewood Dressing Table by Gillows, Lancaster
A ROSEWOOD DRESSING TABLE by Gillows, Lancaster, the moulded edged top over frieze with two drawers with foliate brass drop handles, raised on baluster turned and block supports with gadroon collars and scrolled corner brackets, joined by square stretchers, on castors, signed L14831. Provenance: originally with a mirrored superstructure and supplied to Lord Ashton “The Lino King”, Lancaster, copy of original drawing and billing.
Condition good, commensurate with age and anticipated wear
Dimensions 107cm Long x 67cm Deep x 77cm High
Stock number 3366
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded around in Lancaster in about 1730 by Robert Gillow (1704–1772)
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas.[a] In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.