A George III Mahogany Commode / Cellarette Attributed to Gillows
A George III mahogany commode attributed to Gillows, modelled as four drawers with brass drop handles with circular backplates and raised on short turned feet, this has been skillfully altered to become a cellaret, the old interior has been removed and replaced using period timber. The cellarette holds 24 bottles of wine, a photograph of a similar commode appears in the Susan E Stewart’s book Gillows of Lancaster and London, page 112 plate 661.
Condition good, commensurate with age and anticipated wear
Stok number 3148
Size 73 cm h x 59 cm w x 50 cm d.
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded around in Lancaster in about 1730 by Robert Gillow (1704–1772)
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas.[a] In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.