After Gillows a George III ladies workbox table in mahogany, fitted with two draws, complete with brass handles. It has quatrofoil down swept legs terminating in brass castors.
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas. In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not considered as prestigious.
Size; 51 cm deep x 41 cm wide x 74 cm high, with the drop leaves up the overall size is 90 cm x 45.
Stock number; 6040