A fine William IV Rosewood Card Table Stamped T & G Seddon, by Appointment
A fine quality William IV rosewood card table stamped T & G Seddon with moulded edge and swivel top, silhouette end supports and raised on turned legs with castors. The legs pull in towards the centre of the table when the table is open, allowing adequate room for knees when seated.
The firm of George Seddon existed in various manifestations between 1753 and 1868 and was one of London’s leading furniture producers in the later part of the 18th century. T & G Seddon were Thomas Seddon II and George Seddon III, nephews of the original George Seddon and received a Royal Warrant in 1832. The firm’s move from Aldersgate Street to Grays Inn Road is thought to have taken place around the same time. The firm was plagued by financial problems beginning with Morel and Seddon’s difficulties in extracting payment relating to works undertaken at Windsor Castle, the firm’s financial fortunes were always to remain in the balance.
Morel and Seddon’s partnership was primarily formed to carry out the Windsor Castle commission, Nicholas Morel having been chosen by the King as the furniture maker in charge of re-furnishing the Castle. Morel was in charge of the major artistic decisions and George Seddon III’s extensive workshops provided experienced draughtsmen managers and skilled workmen, Seddon himself also running the business side of the project.